My favourite go-to easy dinner recipe?
Here is my Spaghetti Carbonara recipe. I have made this recipe over a thousand times, and I keep it the same.
You can vary it if you like by adding some onion at the start with the bacon, that works well.
I had an Italian restaurant for 7 years a while ago and we sold tons of pasta, pizza and various seafood dishes as well.
What are the most popular pasta recipes I made as a chef?
As a chef in a casual Italian restaurant in a small coastal town, cooking tasty, affordable and simple dishes was the go. The most popular dishes were beef lasagne with tomato and bacon, fettuccini carbonara and the good old spaghetti bolognese.
We took great care in making the best standard pasta recipes and often added a simple twist to inspire the locals without raising the food cost.
More great Italian pasta dished to come
I am looking forward to recreating some of those dishes on this website and Youtube channel, I hope you subscribe with us to see the video content and try out the dishes.
Simple pasta preparation is the key
Cooking pasta is generally simple, you cook the pasta Al dente (simmer 6 -10 minutes, then refresh the pasta in cold running water, then strain it) reheat it in boiling water, add it to your sauce, toss it a few times in a hot pan and serve it up. Pasta is very inexpensive and gives the chef a chance to make a profit without sending the dinner broke.
Spaghetti Marinara is King
Try adding some seafood and mussels instead of bacon for something extra special. Also, add garlic if you want.
I like it just like this with a good hit of freshly cracked pepper over the top of the plated spaghetti so it adds some heat and spice.
Plus a pile of freshly grated or shaved parmesan cheese.
The video recipe shows how to make this quick spaghetti dish.
- 1st you bring your salted water to a boil. ( always add salt to the water before it boils ) add the pasta, 2-3 oz or 60-90g per person.
- Now measure and prepare your ingredients.
- Heat a pan and start crisping the bacon.
- Add the cream to the hot cooked bacon.
- Add the al dente spaghetti and toss it over in a pan to mix, then twist up the pasta and serve it.
- Top with egg yolk, cracked peppercorns and freshly shaved or grated parmesan cheese.
How to make Spaghetti Carbonara
You must check the labels of the ingredients for common food allergens, such as dairy, eggs, gluten & wheat, sesame, sulphites, lupins, soy & soybeans, tree nuts, peanuts, fish, shellfish. While we take steps to minimize risk, manufacturers may change their formulations without our knowledge.
- 1 Pot Large boiler
- 1 Chef's Knife
- 1 Chopping Board
- 1 Saute pan
- 1 Grater
- 60 g spaghetti number 5
- 50 g bacon diced
- 5 ml olive oil
- 60 ml cream low fat
- 1 large egg fresh
- 10 g parmesan cheese freshly shaved
- 2 g peppercorn cracked
Recipe food cost estimate
- $1.67 total food ingredient cost
Recipe preparation time estimate
- 2 minutes approximately
total food cost
Quick spaghetti carbonara recipe with timer.
- Heat a pot full of salted water and bring it to the boil.
- Sautee your bacon and when cooked add the cream.
- Add the spaghetti, now you have 10 minutes or so to get the sauce ready.
- Add cream to the cooked bacon.
- You can also add diced onion, garlic or mushrooms when cooking the bacon.
- Spaghetti takes 8 – 12 minutes to cook depending on the brand.Simply remove the sauce from the heat if it is ready before the spaghetti is cooking.