Tomato rose garnishes are a classic way to decorate food platters.
In this video demonstration, I show you how to trim the skin off a chilled, ripe tomato with a sharp knife.
Then I roll the tomato rose and show you how to use this garnish.
Knife skills and plate decorating tutorial.
Chef Brendan Mooney teaches how to make a tomato rose and shows different uses.
00:00 How to make a tomato rose introduction.
00:08 Platter decorating demonstration.
00:38 Tomato flower sample shot.
00:59 How to make the tomato rose.
01:01 Trimming shin for a ripe tomato.
01:00 Moving knife up and down as you turn the tomato in your fingers.
01:36 Twist up the tomato skin into a tomato rose.
01:55 Carve leaves out of Lebanese cucumber.
02:00 Make cucumber leaves with the back of a knife.
02:15 Cut stem shapes from the Lebanese cucumber to enhance the tomato flower appearance.
02:32 Make flower patterns with the cook’s knife.
02:50 Make a tomato flower salad with balsamic dressing.
03:42 Plate up tomato rose salad.
00:40 Tomato rose platter decoration setup and video demonstration.
How to make a Tomato Rose garnish.
- 1 sharp knife pairing or turning knife
- 1 Platter
- 150 g tomato ripe
- How to make a tomato rose introduction.150 g tomato
- Platter decorating demonstration.
- Tomato flower sample shot.
- How to make the tomato rose.
- Trimming shin for a ripe tomato.
- Moving the knife up and down as you turn the tomato in your fingers. Twist up the tomato skin into a tomato rose
- Make a tomato flower salad with balsamic dressing. Plate up tomato rose salad.
Decorate a Canapes Platter
See my next video lesson on how to decorate a platter for some canapes with this Tomato Rose.