How many prawns do you need to feed a crowd?
Which prawns do I buy, king, tiger, banana, red spot, and what size?
Do not worry. If you want to throw a prawn on your barbeque, I have worked it out.
Buy large whole green king prawns size 10/15 and marinate them in olive oil, garlic, some oregano or lemon balm, lemon thyme, or a similar herb. Prawns for BBQing also come in sizes from 16/20 for smaller prawns to more significant ones, as in U10, U8, and U6, but unfortunately, the big ones get exported often from Australia.
In the recipe app below, I worked on three prawns per person or about 200 grams of prawn per person. A good amount for a bbq when you will probably have a selection of foods.
Cooking and serving whole BBQed prawns
Work on 300-400 grams (.7 lbs)per person for a main course or feast. After the prawns are cooked, discarding the head, shell, and digestive tract will reduce your yield by about 40%. Get a bowl of warm water and a slice of lemon and rip in.
Do not add lemon juice, the acid in the lemon juice will cook the prawns. It is much better to bbq half a lemon on the bbq side and squeeze the hot juice over the roasted prawns; as an added benefit the lemon turns sweet with the heat adding extra zing to your dish.
Add plenty of salt to your marinade, this will add extra flavour when you suck the juices off your fingers as you peel off the shell, if you like to peel the bbq’d shell off that is.
Some of my friends and relatives eat their bbq prawns whole, head and all. The salt helps make the prawn shell go crisp and crunchy when BBQd.
Grilled Barbecue Prawns
You must check the labels of the ingredients for common food allergens, such as dairy, eggs, gluten & wheat, sesame, sulphites, lupins, soy & soybeans, tree nuts, peanuts, fish, shellfish. While we take steps to minimize risk, manufacturers may change their formulations without our knowledge.
- 1 marinating bowl
- 1 bbq
- 1 tounges
- 1 kg prawn whole king
- 100 ml olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped, fresh
- 2 lemon cut in 1/2's
- 1 g Salt
total food cost
Preparation Time Estimate
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, minced garlic, chopped parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix well.100 ml olive oil, 2 cloves garlic, 1/4 cup parsley, 1 g Salt
- Place the prawns in a large bowl and add the marinade. Toss the prawns until they are evenly coated.1 kg prawn
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight for better flavour. If marinating overnight, you may need more oil to drown the prawns, stopping them prawns from oxidising and going black. (the oil removes the air)
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Grill the prawn skewers for 3 minutes per side or until they turn pink and are cooked through.
- Remove the prawn from the grill and let them rest for a few minutes.
- Discard the prawns’ head, shell, and back digestive tract before serving. Or eat whole.
- Divide the prawns evenly among five plates. Each serving should have around 200 grams of whole cooked prawns or shell them and get 120 grams of cooked prawn meat.
- Serve hot with bbq lemon halves on the side, and enjoy your delicious garlic prawn BBQ.2 lemon